Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Is Freindster A Keyword? (Friendster Layouts Themes Skins Templates part 2)

Original Article Link.

If you're looking for the best Friendster Theme Skin Layout Template compilation on the Internet, please click the picture below. Otherwise, if you would like to know how to earn money online, please keep on reading.


Freindsters or Friendster


If you have read some of my "serious" posts before and you chanced upon this blog again today, you might wonder why I had that post about friendster and why in the name of the WWW did I misspell it as "freindster" a million times. Well, I'd let you in a very obvious secret(teka, meron bang ganun?). I'm thinking of joining the SEO bandwagon. Enough with just great content. Hehe.

I hope to do a more in-depth discussion on Search Engine Optimization(SEO) for my next article, but for those who don't know anything about it yet, I will try to frame here what SEO is in a simple sentence. SEO is all about ranking high in search engines like Yahoo and Google for very specific popular keywords as searched by Internet users worldwide.

Two Filipino blogs influenced me to dip a foot in SEO, and I don't know if it's just a coincidence that their names sound alike. The first one is Marc Macalua's www.macalua.com, and the other is Marghil Macuha's www.macuha.com. Basing from their sites and some of their articles, Marc has been blogging since 2003 while Marhgil just started his website January of 2007, although he has been managing some blogspots earlier than that. I guess it is safe to say that Marc has started SEO way ahead of the pack while Marhgil probably read some of Marc's post before being a self-professed "SEO Addict" himself. Could Marhgil have chosen macuha.com because many people mistype or misspell macalua as macuha in their browsers? Hehe. Of course this is just a joke, but a very important one considering that's the track I'll be leading you in this post. (No offense Marhgil, I just thought it would prove my point in this article. And of course it's your surname, so there shouldn't even be any doubt.)

Right now, every keyword (a word or group of words keyed in by people in search engines) that you can think of already have their equivalent search results in Google and Yahoo. The rankings of these websites for that keyword may change because the search engines have spiders or bots or crawlers and a very funky algorithm way which determines the popularity of the website from links and relevant content... (wait, I remember saying that I'll do a separate article on this. Anyway, 'di ko na lang ie-erase.. sayang naman ang sinulat ko. Back to the article.)

Speaking of Marhgil, he already started a mini SEO project wherein he included the keywords "friendster layout, "friendster skins" into his personal blog because of its showing on Google Trends. Sure enough, he got some traffic from search engines coming from those keywords. Just before December ended, he released a list of keywords that are getting people to his website. And true to the SEO spirit, he is now trying "vedio" and "qoutes," misspellings of the words "video" and "quotes" respectively, as his new keywords.

Basically, what Marhgil is probably trying to do is to get the market for misspelled keywords, and already he is having some success with "vedio," which is searched by thousands of people from Morocco. Why not go for the big time keywords like "video," which is the correct spelling? Here's the reason: the more popular a keyword is, the larger and better the competition, such that it is sometimes better for bloggers(who are generally blogging small-time and for personal reasons) to resort to optimizing for repeated keyword "mistakes" committed by Internet users. Optimization for such keywords really do bring traffic to one's blog, and whatever the quality of that traffic is, it is still, traffic. More traffic of course generally leads to more financial returns.

There are two reasons why you should optimize for misspelled keywords. First is you want to educate, and tell the people that what they search-typed is the wrong spelling for that keyword. This can seem ridiculous for some bloggers but some actually do it. Second, you can make use of the extra or heavier traffic coming from search engines to monetize your blog. I think the combination of this two should always constitute your forage into misspelled keyword SEO.

And hence, after all this impurely nonsensical self-realizations, I would like to inform you of my second SEO project, freindster (the first one, of course, got me a 50 unique visitors just on the first day of posting, and continually brings traffic to this blog, making me think really hard about SEO). I was brainstorming for a probable misspelled search term for some time now and just this morning settled on friendster. Being a Filipino and guilty of wrong spellings all my life, I immediately tried freindster in Google Trends and to my surprise, it came out with some fancy graphs which says that the word actually has some search volume(guess from where). Without thinking twice I laid out my first freindster article, and in 1 minute came up with possible misspellings of the keyword. After pondering the situation and my "eureka" moment, the article seemed lonely so I had to make something else, which took 2 hours of my time. (If you've read the first article, hopefully not, you should know what I'm talking about.) Anyway, as I was finishing this afternoon, I finally thought of actually searching "freindster" in Google and in Yahoo. For both, the top result is www.friendster.com, and some other friendster-related websites. I didn't understand it at first and had to recheck whether I misspelled the misspelled word "freindster" and actually typed the correct keyword "friendster." When I realized I did typed in "freindster," I said to myself "@#$@#$." I think the search engines have long since took any keyword near "friendster" as friendster, and as such they return the only proper result. Only after typing "freindster" with the quotation marks did freindster results actually came in.

Hehe. So much for my misspelled keyword project. So my question now is: if the search engines correct search results for misspelled keywords like "freindster," can you still consider them as proper keywords?

P.S.
I do not know the answer. Perhaps in a month or three months. If it is a keyword, then I'm not sure how I can rank for it considering almost no one searches with quotation marks. Also, I'm still crossing my fingers because a comparative search on "friendster" and "freindster" using Trends gives some odd result which I think does not reflect actual search results.

If it is not a keyword then I have half-a-day and this is one article as zits to look at in the mirror for all my web publishing career.

1 comments:

Jehzeel Laurente said...

u have a point :D hehehehe...

ako na a addict na rin sa SEO :D check mo QOUTES and VEDIO if sino nangunguna :D